Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Emma's Doggie Mascot

My daughter tried her hand at mascot making. Here's the result! She did great with keeping her whip stitches just close enough to the edge. She's a little bit older than she was the last time we tried this and it went much more smoothly. Obviously I helped a lot, but she really did most of the stitching and I did the cutting. This mascot is in THIS book ISBN 4834764184.

Doggie Mascot
I asked her if she wanted to attach it to a barrette or a pin, but she said she simply wants to keep it like this because, "It's so cute and I just want to have it!" As they say, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree...

I purchased this glue because I saw on a craft show, maybe Martha Stewart, that they swear by it. I can't tell you how much I hate this messy stuff! It does cure practically immediately, but it leaves long stringy trails and it gets on everything. We used it to attach the nose on this project and you can see the mess it left in that area...

I prefer this other glue or Sobo, but Sobo isn't washable.

7 comments:

Rebel said...

That is so cute! We know where she gets it!

Melisa Sriwulandari said...

It is cute.

floresita said...

She is so much better at mascot making than me! If I were you I would outsource all mascot-making to her from now on... :)

Glenda said...

She did a great job!!

I'm pretty new to embroidery- and applique-type stitches and have never done a whipstitch -- for some reason I find it intimidating, so yay for your daughter on not being intimidated. She gives me hope that it is not as difficult as I imagine it to be.

Anonymous said...

I don't actually use craft glues, because all the ones I've tried sucked. I'll have to give your recommendations a try though.

Here's what I use: Loctite Super Glue Gel (sold at Joann Fabrics)

It's got all the power of super glue, but none of the mess. It's my new best friend.

Anonymous said...

P.S. I have no idea if it is washable, though I suspect not. I use it on softies and little things.

Anonymous said...

Emma,

You are turning into an awesome crafter! Will you make me a mascot for my birthday in November?

Love you lots!
Grandma