Monday, April 28, 2008

Revisiting Thread Crochet

I'm on a short hiatus from embroidery now that my swap is finished. I'm waiting for some fabric to arrive in the mail so I can finish my recent quilt. In the meantime, I thought I'd do a little bit of thread crochet.
Thread Crochet Granny Square Coasters

From a pattern in one of my Japanese craft books. These are his and hers coasters. Didn't you know? Thread crochet with scalloped edges becomes manly if you use dark blue!

The book is isbn452904100x . HERE is the YesAsia listing.

I did the pink one last night while watching one of those "Asia Extreme" films they show late on Sunday nights on the Sundance Channel. Those movies always have really shocking horror imagery, although the stories are sometimes pretty goofy. I don't like to watch horror films in the theater because it is too intense for me. On television with a little project in my hands, I can take a more academic approach and they aren't so disturbing. This one was called "Cinderella", but um.. it wasn't a fairy tale... I do get disgusted and turn the channel when they get really sickening, but I can't help myself and I go back because I want to see how the situation "resolves".

3 comments:

Lily Boot said...

Oh my, they are pretty! (you keep telling yourself blue scallops makes it manly Susie!) Is that that mercenised DMC thread that looks like thicker cross stitch floss? They are soooo smooth and flat and perfect!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty. Your quilt looks great too!

IamSusie said...

Lily- It is crochet cotton. I think it is the Aunt Lydia brand, although DMC also makes crochet thread.. Crochet thread is stiffer and denser than embroidery floss or pearl cotton.

I asked my 11-year old son if he wants one of these and he said, "Sure!" His will be green and blue. They are like sports teams coasters, right? ;-)