Saturday, June 28, 2008

Rainy Day Machine Quilting

Machine Quilting

It's a rainy Saturday here so I decided to do some machine quilting on one of the tops I recently finished. I tried to use the free motion foot and do flowery swirls but I just don't have the knack for free motion so it's straight lines instead!

The cotton/poly batting I selected requires the quilting to be spaced a maximum of 4 inches apart so I had to add an extra set of lines. Quilting diagonally across each block wasn't close enough.
Machine Quilting

I penciled in little tick marks on the edge of each block and I aimed straight for them with my walking foot. This worked like a charm! My lines aren't always perfectly straight, but that doesn't bother me. This quilt will shrink in the wash and willhave a flat, puckered, vintage look.

Clean out the lint from under your presser foot!

Machine quilting produces lots of lint! I cleaned out under the presser foot 3 times so far. This photo hardly begins to show how much lint is in there.

7 comments:

SewAmy said...

didn't know you had a blog, I just found it. glad I did.

Jona Giammalva said...

That is beautiful! I really love those fabrics!

Rebel said...

Yup - you gotta clean out the lint. I neglected that for a while, and when I finally did whoo boy! It wasn't pretty. =P

Home ec new Haven said...

Thanks for the helpful reminder.
Pretty quilt!

Nan and B.A.G.S. the pug said...

The quilt is so pretty Susie!

Question? Do you change your needle every time you start a project?

I have also noticed that certain threads give off a lot of lint - have you noticed that? I used a new type of thread and I swear I will never go back to that. I need my guttermans! :) HUGS!

Jane said...

I enjoyed reading this. I am yet to machine quilt anything, and am in the process off getting my first top ready. I've been thinking about the quilting bit. This has given me some pointers. Looking forward to having a go now

donna said...

Free motion takes some practice using big squares of muslin/batting sandwiches before feeling comfortable on the real project. Straight line is the best no-hassle machine quilting, though.